[ZODB-Dev] Reloading product in 2.8

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 15:38:49 EDT 2005

Chris McDonough wrote:
> Refresh was never much of a timesaver for me.  Pressing "ctrl-C - up
> arrow - return" on the console from which I run Zope is my answer.  I
> know lots of people say that this is too slow, but on my most recent
> project from the time I type "runzope" to the time I see "ready to
> handle requests" is
>
> real    0m3.029s
> user    0m1.857s
> sys     0m0.306s
>
> ... and I can live with that.

Indeed, this is where we should focus. It gives you a totally clean
slate each time, and I've been convinced by too much pain and suffering
over the last 5 or so years, that a clean slate is a very very good thing.

If restarting a Zope client running of a storage server takes more than
one or two seconds on "normal" hardware, I reckon we should focus on
speeding that up rather than battling with the refresh stuff...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk