[ZODB-Dev] Blobs revisited...

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Oct 5 06:11:09 EDT 2005

Chris McDonough wrote:
> FYI,
>
> Last week, Christian Theune and I muscled the elderly ctheune-
> blobsupport-branch of ZODB into shape to work again against the ZODB
> trunk.

Yay!  Did you also resolve the code issues I pointed out
to Christian?  The original "workingness" was a bit suspect. :)

> We ran into some "interesting" issues with supporting savepoints
> (difficult to do efficiently with blobs, so we didn't try), I added
> some somewhat suspect code to support blobs using a TmpStore, and we  as
> always need to write some more tests, but it works and the result  is on
> the blob-merge-branch of ZODB in SVN.

Could you eleborate or point at a document that does?

> We also created a Zope branch to handle the ZODB head.  Namely, we  used
> multidatabase support.  This is in the zodb-blobs-branch of Zope  in
> SVN.  This basically consisted of ripping out old DBTab code and
> replacing it with calls into ZODB's multidatabase support.  It also  works.

Yay.  Does this actually have anything to do with blobs?

I would rather have seen these two projects remain separate.

Is there a Bloc-specific ZODB branch now? Or is all of the work in a
Zope branch? (I'm a bit confused here.)

> I'm still working on this in my downtime.  If anyone else is  interested
> in helping out, let me know!

Thanks for the work!  I'll try to squeeze in some time soon to review the current
blob code.  Where is it?

I'll