[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZEO and Twisted

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Apr 25 09:23:31 EDT 2006

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> [Ccing zodb-dev]
>
> On 25 Apr 2006, at 15:09, David Pratt wrote:
>
>>> The protocol is simple yes, but the iteractions w.r.t threading  are
>>> sometimes subtle.
>>

>> Hi Florent.  This could be set up using a twisted's application
>> object so that you have a twisted app using a twisted .tac. I guess
>> this could still use the .conf as in this but twisted already has a
>> means of daemonizing its services with twisted. This would give you
>> something like this to start up zeo.
>>
>> twistd -y zeo.tac
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>

> Huh, I thought you were talking about the ZEO client, ClientStorage,
> not the ZEO server.
> For the ZEO server I don't see the point of changing it, it works well.
> OTOH a ClientStorage has to integrate with the other servers in Zope,
> and that's the one that would benefit from being moved to the twisted
> event loop if twisted is used.

(I'm mostly not paying attention to this thread but I have to speak up.)

I disagree.  ZEO should not be dependent on an application mail loop
at all.  It was a mistake to couple ZEO's networking at an application's
asyncore main loop.  This *greatly* complicated ZEO's implementation.
I'd much rather that ZEO's networking be independent of
an application.  Fortunately, asyncore allows multiple independent main loops.
Does Twisted?

Jim