[ZODB-Dev] packaging zodb in eggs.

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 3 11:46:43 EST 2006

On 3/2/06, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
>

> > On Mar 2, 2006, at 10:03 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:
> >>
> >> persistence-3.6.0.egg (which would include persistent and BTrees
> >> modules).
> >> zodblib-3.6.0.egg (which would include ZODB and ZODB packages).
> >> transaction-3.6.0.egg (which would include only the transaction
> >> package).
> >> zconfig-2.3.1.egg (which would include only the ZConfig package).
> >> zodb-3.6.0.egg (which might be an empty "dependency" package that
> >> depended on persistence, transaction, zodblib, and zconfig).
> >>
> >> Anyone care?
> >
> > First,  "rah rah!".

Go go!

I don't understand the eggs philosophy.  (I succeeded in missing the
eggs talk twice at PyCon.)  I don't think any of the pieces of ZODB
are very useful in isolation.  You can't use persistent without
transaction, and there isn't much that uses transaction other than
ZODB.  Same with BTrees, you can't use them without ZODB and they're
probably the most useful data structure in ZODB.

Software like DirectoryStorage, BDBStorage, or  IndexedCatalog seem
like good candidates for separate packaging.  ZConfig,

Jeremy