[ZODB-Dev] packaging zodb in eggs.

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Mar 3 12:14:52 EST 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> Go go!
>
> I don't understand the eggs philosophy.  (I succeeded in missing the
> eggs talk twice at PyCon.)  I don't think any of the pieces of ZODB
> are very useful in isolation.  You can't use persistent without
> transaction, and there isn't much that uses transaction other than
> ZODB.  Same with BTrees, you can't use them without ZODB and they're
> probably the most useful data structure in ZODB.

I  think you put "transaction" in a separate package because it was
meant to be useful independent of ZODB.  There's no actual code in
persistent that depends on transaction save for the tests (although I
couldn't imagine using persistent without transaction, is there ever
a case?).  Maybe the right packaging division is "transaction",
"ZConfig", and "everything else"?

- C