[ZODB-Dev] Removing version support

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 25 13:29:08 EDT 2007

I plan to remove version support from ZODB.  Here's my plan:

- In 3.8, we'll still have the version support we have now, bugs and
all. We will try not to add new bugs, but we won't necessarily fix
old ones.  New APIs, if any, introduced in 3.8 won't support
versions, but won't break  them.

- We will be free, after 3.8, to rip out version support as we have
time.  When we begin this:

    - We need to first remove the APIs that allow versions to be
created.

    - We need to have plans for dealing with databases that contain
version data.  For example, database iterators need to skip over
version data, or we need database conversion tools that remove
version data.

Unfortunately, I expect we'll be saddled with remnants for some time,
as many APIs that are not version specific have version-related
arguments and return values.  Also, and related, I don't want to
break the current ZEO protocol.  I find it very useful that current
ZEO servers work with fairly old clients (back to 3.2).  (I have a
Zope 2.6 site that is using a current ZEO server.) Eventually, I hope
we will create new version-free APIs.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org