[ZODB-Dev] Storage Interfaces

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Apr 28 06:46:28 EDT 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 9:30 PM, David Pratt wrote:

> Hi Jim. I have been quite interested in this also so have
> experimented and continue on this also. The way I am doing the
> networking it similar to ngi I have put this together before you
> defined these interfaces.

I'm not sure which "this" you're referring to. I assume you mean
using Twisted for ZEO.  I don't see that that has much to do with the
new storage interfaces.

In what way is your networking similar to ngi?

Note that I wrote ngi based on a misunderstanding of Twisted. :(  I
didn't realize that Twisted application code didn't touch sockets and
therefore could be tested without using sockets, threads or
subprocesses.  IMO, this is Twisted's most important feature.  I
recently finished my first Twisted application and I was very pleased
with my ability to create sane tests for it, although it's test
support infrastructure could use improvement, which I plan to do.

> I have got a basic transport to use prospective broker and banana
> protocol. So a client and server but I have not yet put together
> the methods for interacting with the storage.

I plan to stick with the existing ZEO protocol, both for
compatibility and for performance reasons.  Out of curiosity, does
perspective broker support one-way calls, messages sent without
replies?  Scanning the docs, I can't tell.  Of course, not waiting
for replies is inherent in Twisted's defered model I suppose.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org