[ZODB-Dev] breaking out the transaction module from ZODB

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Nov 9 08:31:26 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> Guido recently told me that people in the Python community at
>>> large assume that anything in the Zope namespace is assumed to be
>>> Zope specific, so I'd rather not put it there.
>>
>> Does it matter?  People who are allergic to the name "zope" can
>> probably lose.
>
> It maters to me.

OK.  I defer here.  But in general, I think what would probably work
better than a new "z" namespace or any other avoidance of the "zope"
name is is better dependency specifications, so people would feel
better about trying to "easy_install" zope.* packages.  Tres suggested
yesterday that we should write a buildbot-like thing that checked out
each top-level package in SVN and installed it into a fresh virtualenv
to see what its dependencies actually are and fix the too-conservative
dependencies.

I've made a 'zope.transaction' package that I'll rename to
'transaction': one test still fails in its current state, which I
should get fixed today:

http://svn.zope.org/zope.transaction/trunk/

WeakSet is in weakset.py.  It also contains TimeStamp, which will get
moved out of persistent.

The tests work (reqt's are downloaded) if you do "setup.py test -q"

- C