[ZODB-Dev] breaking out the transaction module from ZODB

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Nov 9 12:10:25 EST 2007

>>> In the meantime, I've gotten rid of 'zope.transaction' and I've
>>> created a new top-level 'transaction' package at http://svn.zope.org/transaction/
>>>  .  All its tests pass.  It depends only on 'zope.interface', and
>>> requires 'zope.testing' for running the tests.
>
> Yay!
>
> I think you are pretty close to done -- if not done. Much thanks.  I
> wish there was a way to state anti-requirements in setuptools.  Then
> we could say that transaction had an anti-requirement for ZODB3 < 3.9.

Yeah, especially given that I removed a deprecated method
(beforeCommitHook), so its installation may tend to break running
systems.  Maybe I should put it back, as systems will probably
continue to "just work" even if they have this installed for any
system that uses a recent Zope.

> BTW, it would be nice to now remove the transaction package from the
> ZODB trunk and make it a dependency.

Yes.  ZODB's setup.py is polyglotic... it works if setuptools isn't
installed.  I suspect it shouldn't continue to given that it now has
an external egg dependency.

- C