[ZODB-Dev] breaking out the transaction module from ZODB

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Nov 9 12:48:48 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

>> Yay!
>>
>> I think you are pretty close to done -- if not done. Much thanks.
>> I wish there was a way to state anti-requirements in setuptools.
>> Then we could say that transaction had an anti-requirement for
>> ZODB3 < 3.9.
>
> Yeah, especially given that I removed a deprecated method
> (beforeCommitHook), so its installation may tend to break running
> systems.  Maybe I should put it back, as systems will probably
> continue to "just work" even if they have this installed for any
> system that uses a recent Zope.

I'm not sure what's best here.  One option might be to write
something that searches sys.path looking for and complaining about
multiple transaction modules.

>> BTW, it would be nice to now remove the transaction package from
>> the ZODB trunk and make it a dependency.
>
> Yes.  ZODB's setup.py is polyglotic... it works if setuptools isn't
> installed.  I suspect it shouldn't continue to given that it now
> has an external egg dependency.

My intent, if I can find time, is to rewrite the setup script from
scratch and require setuptools.  I suspect it will be much simpler at
that point.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton