AW: [ZODB-Dev] diploma thesis: ZODB Indexing

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 5 09:24:47 EDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 3:42 AM, Sebastian Wehrmann wrote:

> Am 4. September 2007, 16:17:27 Uhr schrieb Jim Fulton:
>
>> I would very much like to see an open indexing+querying framework for
>> Python objects.  I'm thinking of something *like* an SQL engine that
>> allowed one to plug in relation and index implementations and that
>> took queries in some form, optimized them and executing them using
>> the given index and relations.
>

> We plan to realize three things important to us:
>
> - We don't want indexing on application-level (e.g. application-
> specific)

What does that mean?  Relational applications certainly define
application specific indexes.

> - We want ad-hoc queries

OK.

> - We don't want to rely on transforming the data into a relational
> model

Good.

> My tutor is Christian Theune here at gocept.
>
> My ZODB experience is quite low, I'm just getting started. Bear
> with any questions I come up, please.

I'd like to see a generic framework for defining collections and
indexes in Python and querying them efficiently.  No ZODB expertise
should be needed,

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org