[ZODB-Dev] Re: Relstorage

Alan Runyan runyaga at runyaga.com
Wed Apr 23 10:51:00 EDT 2008

This appears to be a CMFEditions problem not a RelStorage problem.

The ways to escalate a bug:

  Write a test case that demonstrates the bug. Do it yourself.

    a. Ensure tests fail reliably
    b. Email the author with failing tests cases and software versions
to allow him to reproduce
    c. Hope that arthur cares enough to run your tests on the software
packages and fixes it.

I have a feeling its CMFEditions because he is trying to do fancy stuff with the
transaction note(s) in the ZODB.   At a gut level: I feel 100x more comfortable
with Shane's code (ZODB/RelStoage) than CMFEditions.  Which is notoriously
insane.

alan

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Ben Mason <ben at sharkbyte.co.uk> wrote:

> We're currently benchmarking RelStorage to see if it's a viable alternative
> to ZEO.
>
> We've come across the following problem: When trying to revert to an old
> version of a page, we get a unicode error:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>  Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish
>  Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>  Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
>  Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 140, in __call__
>  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 313, in __call__
>  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
>  Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 196, in _exec
>  Module None, line 22, in revertversion
>   - <FSPythonScript at /plone/revertversion used for /plone/front-page>
>   - Line 22
>  Module Products.CMFEditions.CopyModifyMergeRepositoryTool, line 292, in
> save
>  Module Products.CMFEditions.CopyModifyMergeRepositoryTool, line 454, in
> _recursiveSave
>  Module Products.CMFEditions.ArchivistTool, line 288, in save
>  Module Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool, line 232, in save
>  Module Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool, line 391, in _applyOrCheckin
>  Module Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool, line 505, in _encodeMetadata
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 0:
> ordinal not in range(128)
>
> All that has been done here is... Click Edit on the front page of a clean
> Plone site, click Save. Go to the History tab and click on 'Revert to this
> revision'
>
> This doesn't happen if we're using the traditional Data.fs way of storing
> data.
>
> Anyone know what is going on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ben