[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage and BLOBs

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed May 7 01:52:27 EDT 2008

Christian Theune wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:47:45PM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> David Durham, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> My questions is whether or not RelStorage supports BLOBs.  My
>>> situation is that I have a Plone site with user uploaded images and
>>> other files, that should presumably be stored as BLOBs with
>>> RelStorage.  I'm open to placing BLOBs outside of RelStorage if that's
>>> reasonably accomplished.
>>>
>> I think an NFS mount is still a better place for BLOBs than a relational
>> database.  If we put BLOBs in a relational database, we'd have to
>> carefully dance with inter-thread connections and simulated file handles
>> that may stay open for a long time.  With NFS those concerns are already
>> taken care of.
>>
>> The normal way to set up BLOB storage in zope.conf is to create a
>> <blobstorage> wrapper around a storage configuration.  That might just
>> work with RelStorage, but I haven't tried it yet.
>>

> At leasts its a scenario that is intended to work. I'd be happy about feedback
> of people who use it.

For some of us a the main reason for using RelStorage is to be able to
satisfy the 'all data must be stored in our oracle cluster' requirement
from enterprise customers. That means we can not use NFS mounts to store
blobs.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.