[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage and BLOBs

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed May 7 12:04:58 EDT 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> For some of us a the main reason for using RelStorage is to be able to
> satisfy the 'all data must be stored in our oracle cluster' requirement
> from enterprise customers. That means we can not use NFS mounts to store
> blobs.

You have a point, and I know how stubborn enterprises can be.

Here's an approach that will probably work: keep blob handling
completely separate from other database operations and open a different
database connection for each thread.  Maintain pseudo-file-handle state
completely outside the database.

This design could be independent of RelStorage.  We could create a
wrapper much like the current <blobstorage> but put the blobs in the
database instead.

Shane