[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage: Which tables to replicate?

Russ Ferriday russf at topia.com
Thu May 22 14:42:20 EDT 2008

Stefan! This is like holding all your eyelids apart and shouting out
for somebody with a sharp stick! ;)

Watcha gonna do when you add a third server?

er.. lemme see... Multiply all OIDs by three and allocate new OIDs
modulo three?

Eeek!

Why not make the OID a composite of server ID and sequence?  Even if
these were both packed in the same 64 bits, just so you keep it a
*little bit nasty*, and then maybe just get one eye poked out!  ;)

(You could get away with a byte for the server ID, leaving masses of
bits for the item ID.)

Best wishes!

--r

On 22 May 2008, at 14:49, Stefan H. Holek wrote:

> Hi Russ,
>
> This is correct. I should have mentioned that the two servers are
> configured so that server A creates odd, server B even sequence
> numbers. This makes the duplicate id error pretty mysterious, IMO ;-)
>
> Stefan
>
> On 22.05.2008, at 13:15, Russ Ferriday wrote:
>
>> I have not read the reference, but it seems that this scheme can
>> never work without keys (OIDs) being qualified by which master they
>> originated on. Otherwise one of the mySQLs would need to be
>> responsible for handing out unique oids.  You need an OID
>> origination namespace for each master.
>
> --
> Stefan H. Holek
> stefan at epy.co.at

Russ Ferriday - Topia Systems - Open Source content management with
Plone and Zope
russf at topia.com - office: +44 2076 1777588 - mobile: +44 7789 338868 -
skype: ferriday