[ZODB-Dev] Proposal: cross database reference seat belt

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Apr 28 05:31:41 EDT 2009

Problem
-------

In multi-database configurations, ZODB applications can unintentionally
create cross-database references.  The causes include moving (rather
than copying) an object between containers, storing an object in a
session database and later moving it to the main database, and using a
persistent object for a catalog index when the catalog is located in
another database.

Unintentional cross-database references can cause significant problems.
  For example, references from non-volatile objects to volatile session
objects will break when the session expires, leading to application errors.

In a project I am working on, my team decided that configuring our
application to use a multi-database was too risky unless we had some way
to prevent unintentional cross-database references.

Proposed Solution
-----------------

I propose an optional "seat belt" for cross-database references in ZODB.
  The seat belt, when enabled, will prevent most objects from holding
any cross-database references.  Application policy will specify which
cross-database references to allow.  When any cross-database reference
violates the policy, ZODB will raise an exception to help application
developers track down the policy violation.

Proposed Mechanism
------------------

The ZODB.DB.DB constructor will accept a new parameter, "check_xrefs",
that defaults to False.  When check_xrefs is True, the cross-database
reference seat belt is enabled.  "xref" is short for "cross-database
reference".

Applications will express cross-database reference policy through a new
method of persistent objects named "_p_check_xref".  The _p_check_xref
method accepts a single parameter, the object to be referenced in
another database.  If the reference should be allowed, the _p_check_xref
method returns True.  If the _p_check_xref method returns False, the
object serialization machinery will raise an InvalidObjectReference
exception, leading to transaction abort.

Furthermore, when the seat belt is enabled, ZODB will raise an
InvalidObjectReference exception when an object with no _p_check_xref
method attempts to hold a cross-database reference.

Each database in a multi-database has its own check_xrefs setting.  The
setting applies only to the objects contained in that database.  This
allows developers to specify, for example, that arbitrary references
from the main database to the volatile session database are disallowed,
while arbitrary references from the volatile session database to the
main database are allowed.

The proposed mechanism has been implemented in a branch of ZODB named
"shane-cross-database-seatbelt", checked in at svn.zope.org.  It does
not change very many lines of code.

Some possible risks of the proposed mechanism:

* An implementation of the _p_check_xref method could wake up ghosts as
a side effect.  Implementers probably need to avoid that.

* People might want to express the application policy without modifying
persistent classes.  I chose not to propose that kind of solution,
opting instead for a solution that follows established ZODB patterns.

Conclusion

The proposed new feature is designed to help developers create more
robust ZODB applications by enforcing cross-database reference policy.
I hope it can be included in ZODB 3.9.

Shane