[ZODB-Dev] zeodb limitation with zope 2.12

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu May 14 06:45:13 EDT 2009

On 14.05.09 11:59, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
> 2009/5/14 Dganit David <Dganit.D at puresight.com>:
>
>> We are planning  a web application that saves the data of up to 1,000,000
>> users.
>>
>> I would like to know the limitation of zodb.
>>
>> Currently we are using   ClientStorage with zeo,
>>
> In my experience building a large scale application, ZEO did not scale
> with my application in the way that I had hoped. It worked great with
> a few hosts accessing the ZEO server in parallel, but when scaled up
> the ZEO server itself quickly became a bottleneck which had to be
> designed around. The thing that surprised me was that the server
> itself became the bottleneck with only 4 hosts active - it obviously
> depends on the access patterns of your application. A single ZEO
> server may not serve the needs of 1 million users if you have a large
> number accessing the application concurrently, so I suggest that you
> think about multiple servers, replication, and dividing the data
> itself up to enabling parallel distributed access before starting to
> code the application. And ensure that you have a test suite that will
> simulate the large scale requirements from the beginning.

A large scale-application like this always requires careful planning -
independent
of using the ZODB or a RDBMS. Assuming that this is a big project, there
should
be a budget for architecture :-)

Andreas

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, Handelsregister A 381535
Geschäftsführer/Gesellschafter: ZOPYX Limited, Birmingham, UK