[ZODB-Dev] Blobs without shared-blob directory

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Fri May 15 06:22:32 EDT 2009

Hi.

I have a configuration with one ZEO database server (ZODB 3.8.1) and two
physical servers housing four single-threaded ZEO clients each. There's
some 15gb of blob data in the (Plone) site.

Setting up and maintaining NFS to share direct access to the blob data
is beyond what I can support in production right now. So this leaves me
with a blob-cache per ZEO client.

Am I correct to assume that sharing the blob-cache between the four
processes on the same physical machine is not supported, as these don't
have any mechanism to synchronize read/write activity to the blob-cache?
Or is there something in the blob design that ensures a no-conflict
situation?

Does the blob-cache grow indefinitely or is there some mechanism to
purge / pack it built-in somewhere?

Thanks,
Hanno