[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage: getting keep-history wrong results in silent death

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu Nov 4 13:35:07 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 08:13:14AM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 06:28 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
> > I was having trouble starting a relstorage 1.4.0-backed Zope instance
> > this morning. The symptoms were that it would get going fine, until the
> > point it tried to open the storages, at which point it would simply
> > restart with no logging as to why.
> >
> > Turns out I had keep-history set to true whereas the database have been
> > created with it set to false.
> >
> > Should this not result in an exception being logged rather than just a
> > silent death that causes zdaemon to lamely attempt to restart the instance?
>
> It outputs an error using the logging module and raises an exception.
> Are you saying some code somewhere is nastily swallowing that exception
> and suppressing the log?

In the past I've been burned a few times by zdaemon discarding all
stdout and stderr output from the child process, which resulted in
this kind of "child keeps restarting, sysadmin has no clue why" if an
exception happens during startup.

Make sure your zdaemon.conf has

  <runner>
    transcript $LOGDIR/transcript.log
  </runner>

or something like that.

Marius Gedminas
--
If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL