[ZODB-Dev] blocked transactions?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 10:47:20 EDT 2010

On 13/10/2010 15:40, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Wouldn't I see storage errors in that case?
>
> No. Unless you set a transaction timeout, the storage will
> wait for the finish indefinitely.

...I meant on the client side. There were no errors other than the
protocol timeout ones below:

>>   File
>> "/var/buildout-eggs/ZODB3-3.9.6-py2.6-linux-i686.egg/ZEO/ServerStub.py",
>> line 377, in stub
>>     raise ValueError("Timeout waiting for protocol handshake")
>> ValueError: Timeout waiting for protocol handshake
>
> These were on the client, not the server.
>
> That's odd.
>
> This suggests that there's something else going on with your storage
> server and that the transactions waiting messages are a red herring.

Indeed. I'd dearly love to know what, sadly, the storage server is
zeoraid, and I can't expect you to help with that ;-)
(zeoraid then talks to back end zeo servers, and the only
out-of-the-ordinary stuff logged was on the zeoraid servers, and it was
those blocked messages)

>> When that's configured, what information does it provide and how do I get
>> it? (if there are docs, lemme know and I'll go read them instead)
>
> Go read the code or try it.

Will do.

>> Related: how can I find out how long transactions are taking?
>
> Note that we're really talking about how long commits are taking,
> specifically the time between vote and finish. You can determine that
> from the waiting messages.

So there's no logging I can turn on to see how long commits are taking,
unless I can get more of those 'transaction blocked' messages to show up?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk