[ZODB-Dev] "MySQL server has gone away" with RelStorage

Paul Winkler slinkp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:16:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:53:05PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> On 25/10/2010 15:57, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 05:55:05PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> >> Restarting Zope appeared to fixed the problem, but I'm slightly confused
> >> as I can't find any entries in the logs of the Apache instance that sits
> >> in front of the test instances for the failed requests...
> >
> > Maybe turn on Zope's trace log?
>
> Okay, but regardless of what happens with Zope, surely I'd expect a row
> in the Apache log saying what happened?

Depends. If the user saw a 50x error page from the server, then yes.

If the *browser* timed out before receiving a response, then maybe
not.  Like Zope, Apache doesn't put a line in the access log until it
has finished processing the request and sent a response back. If Zope
is more or less hung, and Apache has a long ProxyTimeout configured (I
believe the result is 300 seconds), then you might not see anything
logged.  I am not sure what the default timeouts in various browsers
would be, but my subjective impression is that it's lower than 300
seconds.

That's why I suggested the trace log; you can see exactly what
requests come in as they arrive, and whether & when a response gets
sent back.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com