[ZODB-Dev] packing ZODB

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Mar 31 07:12:18 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Adam GROSZER <agroszer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After investigating FileStorage a bit, I found that GC runs on objects,
> but pack later by transactions. That means that if there's a bigger-ish
> transaction, we can't get rid of it until all of it's objects are GCed
> (or superseeded by newer states).

The transaction stays around, but non-current records in the
transaction and records for garbage objects are removes. Who cares if
(some trace of) a transaction stays around?

> Is that correct?

The transaction itself lingers only as long as there are records
remaining, but not all of the records stay around.  I'm not sure what
you meant above, but if you think all of the records in the
transaction stay around, the answers is no.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton