[ZODB-Dev] Transaction notes

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Tue Nov 15 21:00:34 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff,

> I'd like to add something to our application framework code so that when
> page messages are displayed to the user (simple messages like 'saved
> changes' or 'deleted xxxx') that they are also added to the transaction
> description (using the 'note' method on transactions).
[...snip...]
> My question is: Will using transaction 'note' in a non-writing transaction
> cause a record to be written out when using FileStorage and/or ZEO?

In short, no. Longer answer: I'm assuming by 'non-writing transaction' you
are meaning a transaction which has been abort() or doom() -ed. If you
mean instead an 'empty' transaction that has no actual changed data, but
which still calls 'commit()'; then the answer is still 'no' and the reason
is simple - against which database would the note be written?

Cheers,
Darryl Dixon
Winterhouse Consulting Ltd
http://www.winterhouseconsulting.com