[ZODB-Dev] what's the latest on zodb/zeo+memcached?

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:07:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Claudiu Saftoiu <csaftoiu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm looking to speed up my server and it seems memcached would be a good
> > way to do it - at least for the `Catalog` (I've already put the catalog
> in a
> > separate
> > zodb with a separate zeoserver with persistent client caching enabled
> and it
> > still doesn't run as nice as I like...)
> >
> > I've googled around a bit and found nothing definitive, though... what's
> the
> > best way to combine zodb/zeo + memcached as of now?
>
> My opinion is that a distributed memcached isn't
> a big enough win, but this likely depends on your  use cases.
>
> We (ZC) took a different approach.  If there is a reasonable way
> to classify your corpus by URL (or other request parameter),
> then check out zc.resumelb.  This fit our use cases well.

Maybe I don't understand zodb correctly but if the catalog is small enough
to fit in memory wouldn't it be much faster to just cache the whole catalog
on the clients? Then at least for catalog searches it is all mostly as fast
as running through python objects. Memcache will put an extra
serialize/deserialize step into it (plus network io, plus context
switches).

--

Leonardo Santagada