[Zope-CMF] Filtering Allowed Content Types on Portal Folders

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:13:48 -0700

I've been conversing with Andrew Sawyers on a Folder product he has
been working on, and poking around the CMF products trying to
answer my question -

Can allowed content types be set on standard CMFCore.PortalFolder
objects. At this point I'd like to get simple confirmation as
follows -

o Standard CMF expects allowed content types to be set in the
portal_types tool (portal type for the product)

o The CMFCore.PortalFolder class has no provision for restricting
content types so it is not possible to add a list of allowed
content types to a standard portal folder.

Assuming both are true, then the recourse is to either -

1. Create a new portal_type wired up with portal folder and set
allowed content types there (zmi based fix)

2. Create a new product with a classes that add provisions for
allowed content types as attribute(s) so that the allowed content
types can be set via the user interface (skins).

Andrew had demonstrated that #2 requires a change to
folder_factories skins (dtml/zpt) as well.

In my mind this reflects the bias current versions of Zope have
toward the zmi interface for things that users would like to do in
the user interface. Not throwing stones mind you.. just an
observation. Admittedly my personal bias is toward separating all
content management and organization functions from administration
such that 'normal' users never touch the zmi. I prefer a clean
separation of administration (products, tools, catalogs, etc) from
content and organization functions (add/modify/delete/undo).

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z