[Zope-CMF] Approaches to Developing a Weblog for the CMF

Gitte Wange gitte@mmmanager.org
28 May 2002 22:22:39 +0200

tir, 2002-05-28 kl. 22:11 skrev Douglas Perry:
> I'm running Zope 2.5.1, CMF 1.3b1, and Plone 0.9.9. I need a weblog or
> 'announcement" product for the site I'm building. I need a quick solution as
> I need to keep this under budget.
>
> One page (the home page of each section of my site) will list all the
> entries stored in the DB. Another page will be the actual article page.
> There will be a page listing the archives.
>
> I need something simple. A date, a byline, a headline, a lead-in, then a
> link to the whole article.
>
> I can approach the problem in the following ways:
>
> Store entries in ZODB.
> I'm not sure how this is done? Do I create a catalog and vocabulary for
> this? I'm used to developing apps around an RDBMS and using code on the
> front side to query the RDBMS and spit out pages.
>
> Store entries in an RDBMS. Develop DTML that stores the entries in a RDBMS.
> Make it CMF aware.
>
> Re-purpose a Portal Type item. Tweak News Item? How is that done?
>
> Which is the best solution that preserves the look and feel of my site?

Hello,

I'm not sure what your concerns are with storing your data in ZODB but I
have created a simple 'BoxTool' to be used as an easy way to create
boxes and tabs on your website.
I hasn't been released yet but you can get it from MM Manager's cvs
repository (or I can mail you the files to be used).
It has been used for internal purpose only but is running on several
production sites so maybe it will solve your problem ?
You can see the tool in action at http://zope.net-produktion.dk .. the
tabs that shows up comes from the tool - so does the default index_html
It contains 2 types of boxes at the moment:
A Box item which lets you decide what types should show up, specify
subjects they must contain, specific languages (if you are using
Localizer) and what "format types" to use (icon, title, description,
creator etc of the objects).
A Calendar item which displays a nice calendar which does the same thing
as the box item - except only finds the objects for the calendar days ..
Greetings,
Gitte Wange