[Zope-CMF] moving HTML-ish site into CMF (and possibly plone)

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:07:56 -0500

> 1.  CMF or Plone?  Or roll a specialized framework?  CMF is a framework
and is
> missing some stuff; Plone is more complete.  CMF is reputedly relatively
light
> weight; Plone is reputedly slow.  Plone does a lot of stuff dynamically
which,
> for our site, will be static--so there's some overhead.

Plone is a skin for CMF.  Plone can be faster if you remove alot of its
features.
inlining macros expansions could speed up the system (i.e. in main_template
inline the left/right column templates).

If you already have your  HTML site and just want to move it into CMF.
Maybe just
plain CMF is nice.  I think Plone interface is much nicer and thats what I
choose to
expose my clients to.

> 2.  I'm concerned with how the ZPT orientation of CMF/Plone will play with
> existing DTML productsi should we choose to use them.  My initial
experiments
> found some warts in the integration.  Has the situation improved?

dont know.  Plone should work relatively nice with existing DTML.

> 3.  Given the overhead of processing ZPT, clearly one does not want to
> define HTML-only content as ZPT objects.  Given the ZPT-orientation of CMF
and
> Plone, HTML-only content shouldn't be a DTML document.  Should content
(pure
> HTML which won't be munged before rendering) and structured text be stored
in
> ZOODB File objects?

HTML only content could easily be File objects.

~runyaga