[Zope-Coders] Importing Zope in tests

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:29:21 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> What is the prominent crash bug you speak about, however? I've had a crashbug
> before, but this went away again -- there was a version of Python 2.1
> that came with Debian (unstable) that had it, but later versions fixed
> it again; it seemed to have to do something with the refcount tests.
> Since handcompiled Python 2.1s did not exhibit the same problem I assumed
> it was an issue with Debian's python.

The crash bug appears only when you correct the tests, as you said.

I tried to fix the unicode issue by changing Printer.py so instead of
comparing the output of repr(), tests compare the output of unicode().
But this led to semi-predictable core dumps.  Sometimes instead of core
dumps I got hangs.  It looked like it might be an issue with the unicode
module, but maybe it's a manifestation of expat using the unicode module
incorrectly.

> Unrelated from these particular bugs however is the crash you get when
> you use ParsedXML in Zope 2.5 from the management screens and the
> zope security policy uses cAccessControl. That is, seemingly
> unrelated; at least it has nothing to do with the Parser carshbug.
> Note that the only C-based code unique to ParsedXML involves PyExpat;
> all the other crashes occur in Python code and must point to problems
> elsewhere..

Right.  I actually spent some time over the holidays looking over every
line changed when cAccessControl was merged in.  Try as I might, I could
not find any errors in cAccessControl.  cDocumentTemplate changed also,
but I haven't reviewed that.

Shane