[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@zope.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:40:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tres Seaver" <tseaver@zope.com>
To: "Andreas Jung" <andreas@andreas-jung.com>
Cc: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>; "Joachim Werner"
<joe@iuveno-net.de>; "Jason Earl" <jason.earl@simplot.com>;
<zope-coders@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 07:16
Subject: Re: [Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

> You are also going to need to defend the changes, as they are
>
> potentially destabilizing for clients which do WebDAV correctly
> (at least if I understand to tag-end of the discussion I have
> seen so far).  A unit tests for a feature which depends on a
> REQUEST header just needs to synthesize an appropriate request
> (i.e., it needs to pretend to be the publisher), no?

We can not cover interoperability issues through unit tests because
it requires the *detailed* knowledge how the (WebDAV) client reacts
and behaves. In the case of M$ applications we have learned that
their behaviour is often unpredictable and non-compliant with
specifications.
This means we must test the most common WebDAV applications
against Zope. That's what we have done in the past after lots of changes
to the WebDAV code. I don't know a suitable testing method to cover
such interoperability test.

- aj