R: R: [Zope-DB] ZODBCDA for Python 2.3.3

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 10:55:56 EST 2004

Hi Charlie,

Charlie Clark wrote:
> mm, is ODBC really the issue here? ie. is the database Access or MS-SQL?
> Wouldn't something like PostgreSQL fit the bill and fit the philosophy
> better?

It may not be for Ard, but it is for me - I'm specifically in the
business of (as much as possible) Open Source s/w in Windows shops with
legacy Windows dBs. Not because it's free s/w, but because my experience
is that community support is better than commercial support.

> There is nothing wrong with Zope 2.6.4!

Agreed...

> In fact I don't currently have 2.7 in production anywhere.

...and me neither.

> Users of ZODBCDA say that the real problems are instability
> and unreliability so simply recompiling it for Python 2.3 won't do. In fact
> I think it's the problems associated with it that persuaded ZC to drop
> support for it.

Interesting. Will google for references. I've not encountered many
issues, but my stuff isn't too complex, and high levels of concurrency
aren't an issue (at the moment...)

Cheers,

PhilK