[Zope-dev] XML-RPC "To Do" List

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:40:58 -0400

Eric Kidd wrote:

> Since Zope is heading towards a 2.0 release, I want to clean up some of the
> niggling problems with Zope XML-RPC. Here are the problems I know about:
>
>  1) There are known bugs in xmlrpclib 0.9.5. This needs to be upgraded to
>     version 0.9.8, or XML-RPC calls using the <struct> tag will fail in a
>     variety of interesting ways.

Could you do me a favor and send me the new version?

>  2) Zope XML-RPC methods cannot return 0, '', or other values which Python
>     considers to be false. These values get mangled somewhere between the
>     External Method and ZPublisher/xmlrpc.py.

This should be fixed now.

>  3) Either Digital Creations or UserLand needs to write up a page on Zope
>     XML-RPC. We'll point to it from www.xmlrpc.com.

I'll defer to Paul on this one.

>  4) Logging and error reporting still leave a lot to be desired. I'm
>     working on this.

I'm not sure what you are refering to here, but take a look at the
new Zope logging API, zLOG.

> And one minor issue:
>
>  5) Zope XML-RPC does not use the Expat parser shipped with Zope 2.0b1. It
>     uses the slower and less correct xmllib parser included with Python by
>     default. It should be possible to hook xmlrpclib up to Expat, provided
>     that all the various modules involved use the standard Python XML APIs.
>
> I can handle (4) myself, and I'll handle

Cool.

> (5) when it becomes a critical
> issue for one of our projects.

I may do this one for you. :) How does xmlrpclib handle date objects?

> (1) is easy--I can mail somebody the correct
> file.

Yup.

> I can handle (3), or somebody at DC can handle it if they prefer.
>
> But one of these problems is tricky: (2). Zope may have good reasons for
> throwing away false values, and I don't want to hack on this code until I
> know what the issues are.

This should be done.

Jim

repeats.