[Zope-dev] Zope 2.7 running with Stackless 3.0

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Thu Aug 28 15:20:15 EDT 2003

Christian Tismer wrote:
> Stackless 3.0 does all of it, whatever is possible.
> That means, you can switch whatever, even extension
> C code with Python callbacks. But cooperative code
> can switch faster.

I'm very happy to hear you've forged onward.  I was concerned you had
given up.

>> But Zope has a lot of reentrant code, especially in Acquisition and
>> ZODB.  Doesn't that prevent Zope from taking advantage of Stackless
>> continuations?
>

> No continuations, tasklets. :-)

Did you switch the terminology?  Where can I read about Stackless 3.0?

For the uninitiated: Stackless lets a Python program break out of the
rigid constraints of a simple stack.  It lets Python code manipulate its
own execution.  It provides new solutions to problems like threading,
debugging, network communication, etc.  It's a very interesting shift.

BTW, here's one avenue you might pursue, Christian: Python IDEs.  When I
wrote the debugger for Boa Constructor, I hit a big wall.  Since Python
is a dynamic language, one would expect to be able to pause the
execution of a function, change the function, and resume execution with
new code--never skipping a beat.  But CPython makes this nearly
impossible.  I imagine Stackless would provide an answer for this.  If
it does, get in contact with ActiveState, Secret Labs, or the Wing IDE
folks and tell them you can make their debugger twice as good as any
other.  Just an idea.

Shane