[Zope-dev] _p_deactivate() and _v_ variables?

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Fri Oct 10 09:26:11 EDT 2003

Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2003 14:01, Florent Guillaume wrote:
>

>>>I agree with this. How do we go about find code that uses the assumption
>>>that _v_ stuff won't change unless it's at a transaction boundary?
>>
>>Note that we had a problem related to this with a client recently: In
>>CMF, skin data is stored in portal._v_skindata, and is actually needed
>>for the whole request, but in some ZEO setting this go cleared by a
>>get_transaction().commit(1) which was unexpected and led to breakage
>>because in that batch treatment we used some skin methods too...
>

> Something after the subtransaction commit must be tickling the cache garbage
> collector. Thats generally what subtransactions are used for.
>
> A while ago there was a discussion on zodb-dev about _v_-like attributes that
> would be automatically cleared at the end of a transaction. Do we need
> something similar that guarantees it will _not_ be cleared until the end of
> the transaction?

IMO YAGNI. I think the application should tolerate the disappearance of
_v_ vars. I would consider the problem with CMF skins a bug that needs
to be fixed. AFAIK there is nothing stored in _v_skindata that cannot be
reconstructed from data in the skins tool.

Has an issue been filed in the CMF collector regarding this?

-Casey