[Zope-dev] Why third_party/docutils?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Dec 16 15:29:29 EST 2004

Andreas Jung wrote at 2004-12-16 20:47 +0100:
>> *sound of me protesting noisily*
>>
>> Let me remind you of the Pope's decree:
>> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2004-November/024073.html
>>

>I have not seen a proposal so far how to solve this issue that works with a
>complete
>Docutils package and without sitecustomize.py and I don't know about a
>better solution.

What problems are solved by (mere) moving "DocUtils" into
a "third_party" package that stay when it is one level up?

Providing Zope's own "sitecustomize.py" interferes with
site customizations usually maintained in the site's "sitecustomize.py".

At least, this needs prominent warning notes:

   Zope now shadows any "sitecustomize.py" that may be in
   effect in your Python installation.
   Move any relevant definitions to Zope's "sitecustomize.py".

A "*.pth" file might be an alternative to a "sitecustomize.py"
(although "*.pth" has issues, too).

--
Dieter