[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Dec 21 13:46:52 EST 2005

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> I didn't receive any feedback on zope-general, but it could just be a
> problem with my environment that fails silently. Can anyone confirm that
> this isn't pilot error before I file a bug? Thanks.

 From the thread, it's not a pilot error, so could you please file a bug
if you haven't already?

I at least consider commands that simply fail to work in development
checkouts with obscure errors as a bug.  I ran into this independently,
and found this thread. If I had come by a few weeks later, I would
likely not have found this thread, and I'd have asked the question
again. If it at least said "hey, this doesn't work, try this instead"
when you go 'make install', it'd be at least be something, though
ideally any command that works in a release should also work in a
development checkout.

I understand that the reason for this is zpkg. It's not the first time
that zpkg slams me right into the head for various reasons. Going into
the wider story of packaging philosophy, I suspect there are arguments
to be made in favor of making the difference between the repository and
the distribution small. A distribution could be *smaller* than a
repository, i.e. a profile of what's in the repository, but it'd be nice
if structurally what's actually included in a distribution was the same
as much as possible as what's in the repository.

Regards,

Martijn