[Zope-dev] Re: zLOG module deprecated

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Jan 9 12:06:24 EST 2006

--On 9. Januar 2006 17:40:26 +0100 Florent Guillaume <fg at nuxeo.com> wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2006, at 17:25, Andreas Jung wrote:
>> --On 9. Januar 2006 17:06:25 +0100 Florent Guillaume <fg at nuxeo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> My point is that the python logging levels are insufficiently fine
>>> grained.
>>
>> Sufficently enough for me.
>
> "Sufficient for me" is not a good reason sorry. If you don't want to  use
> them, then don't use them.

I've never had the need to use them. That's different from not wanting to
use them. The more choice you have, the more trouble you have. I agree that
a TRACE level might be of interest. But BLATHER and PROBLEM is competely
overhead from my point of view - in fact I can't explain when to use
BLATHER or TRACE compared to DEBUG. In cases where I have the need to
perform low-level logging (for debugging purposes) I do usually use a
dedicated logger
to do not mess up the main logfile.

>> BLATHER & TRACE can be merged to DEBUG
>> and PROBLEM to either WARN|ERROR. This should be even enough for Zope.
>
> No it can't. TRACE is already being used, and it would drown everyone
> using DEBUG if it was at DEBUG level.
> Same thing, BLATHER would drown people looking for succint INFO.

I don't see any Zope code using TRACE except ZEO. Instead of BLATHER you
could use DEBUG.

> I will standardize those for the use case we're seeing time and again
> and again.

I don't like the idea of re-introducing something that matches on 'log'.
Otherwise we could have kept zLOG :-)

-aj