[Zope-dev] Re: Flood of deprecation warnings...

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Jun 19 10:59:40 EDT 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
[snip]
> One of my other bugbears is that a flood of deprecation warnings often
> masks real problems.

What real problems?

> How would people feel about the default zope.conf hiding all deprecation
> warning?

-1

This is bad. You'd be making it far less likely people will worry about
deprecations, and they'll end up fixing their code *after* the
deprecation period when things actually break, instead of before.

> Product authors should switch them on for their products, which they
> control, and they should need to worry about.

I wouldn't be against a way to selectively shut *down* deprecation
warnings for products. I would do this only when I'm working on fixing
deprecation warnings elsewhere and temporarily don't want to see them,
or when I don't want to worry a customer.

> This also applies for project-specific code.
>
> This seems a better place to me than the current default behaviour of
> "there's loads of these being spewed out, so I'll just ignore 'em all"
> which misses out on the last 2 things I mentioned above...

Your response is quite different than mine. If my Zope spews out
warnings at me I go and fix them. :) I really don't like applications
that babble at me.

Regards,

Martijn