[Zope-dev] Deprecate ITerms in zope.app.form? [Re:zope.browser?]

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Wed Dec 17 01:32:56 EST 2008

Hi Tres

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] Deprecate ITerms in zope.app.form?
> [Re:zope.browser?]

[...]

> One issue is that adding deprecation messages for importing
> symbols from the old makes all "downstream" code add ugly BBB
> warts in order to suppress them when run against multiple versions.

Yes, that's exactly what deprecation message do. Deprecation
messages in tests do not have to win a beauty award. The goal
of a deprecation message is to inform developers about upcomming
changes. This ugly BBB output is very important to me!

This allows us to schedule our work and we don't run into
removed backward compatibility issues. This makes deprecation
messages something like a reminder and nothing which we should
ignore.

If we don't use deprecation messages we can not do future cleanup
because we can't remove old not deprecated code.

This means using deprecation message or not depends on the need
for a future cleanup. If we like to support an old interface
location then we don't need deprecation messages. But if we
like to remove the interface at the old location in the future
then we need to deprecate them. This has nothing to do with
beautify our test output.

Regards
Roger Ineichen