[Zope-dev] XMLRPC support (was Re: Optional integration need not introduce dependencies)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Aug 7 11:02:33 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Roger Ineichen<dev at projekt01.ch> wrote:
> I think XML-RPC just belongs to an own package e.g. zope.xmlrpc. It doesn't
> make sense to have XML-RPC in a package other then an own.

Agreed, although moving it out would introduce a backward
incompatibility. Maybe there's a way to finesse this or maybe we just
bump the major version # of zope.publisher.

BTW, I don't think the approach we took (I helped :) for XMLRPC turned
out well.  Given ajax and json, I don't really care about xmlrpc any
more, but if I did, I'd want to take a much lighter weight and more
localized approach.

> If we move the
> XML-RPC part out of other packages, then we have the question should the
> zope.xmlrpc package depend on IContainer? Probably not and the new
> zope.xmlrpc
> package should use your suggested conditional configuration.

Yup

> Such an own zope.xmlrpc package whould depend on the publisher as much as
> the XML-RPC implementation does. This allows to use a custom XML-RPC
> implementation based on something else then the publisher concept.
> (custom xmlrpc package)
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes, except that I don't really care about xmlrpc and If I did, I'd
take a different approach.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton