[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.net
Wed Mar 4 13:00:12 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:

[snip]

> The steering group isn't intended to take a responsibility for the
> entirety of the Zope software. Zope 2, Grok and the Zope 3 app server
> (which would be a distinct entity) would manage themselves and the Zope
> Framework steering group would not have a say over the libraries and
> configuration they add.

[snip]

> I do also think that we should go to a smaller set of libraries. We
> currently share a huge amount of code that only one consumer actually
> uses. For instance, I think all of the zope.app.* packages which contain
> ZMI code can eventually be left to the management of the Zope 3
> developers, meaning they'd not be part of the Zope Framework anymore.

[snip]

> """
> As a service to the users of the Zope Framework, the Zope developers
> also make available lists of version numbers of core libraries that
> have been tested to work together as a "Known Good Set". This receives
> a version number and is the Zope Framework release.  Users of the Zope
> framework can use this list, but may also diverge from it where they
> see fit. Other projects (such as the Zope 3 application server and the
> Grok project) also have a Known Good Sets that expand on the Zope
> framework list (and may diverge from it). Each of these consumer
> projects can of course have their own release process, schedule and
> version numbering.
> """

[snip]

> It may very well be true that in some time we'll develop clusters of
> libraries that can be more or less managed on their own. The ZMI is such
> a cluster that I hope will eventually emerge (and that the Zope
> Framework Steering Group doesn't care about directly). That'd reduce the
> coordination overhead. But sometimes we do need to take coordinated
> action, and I don't see that need disappearing entirely.

I think those who care about "Zope 3" (framework/app server/libraries/
or whatever)
should form a team and mailing list to discuss about the future development.
All other major consumers of the "Zope Framework Project" has their on mailing
list for discussions.  I guess very soon zope-dev list will become
inappropriate to discuss about "Zope 3".  Just like Grok,Repoze etc.
it is better
to create a list for "Zope 3", may be re-activate zope3-dev list to
discuss about
the "Zope 3" (framework/app server/libraries/ or whatever). Well, if
no one cares
about "Zope 3", let's leave it.

Regards,
Baiju M