[Zope] a funny thing happened today...

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:38:30 +0200

Tony McDonald wrote:

> People,
> I'd like to share a thought I had this morning as I read a post by
> Stephan Richter on the zdp list.
>
> Stephan:
> At 11:29 am -0500 22/8/99, Stephan Richter wrote:
> >yep, go to my site. I have four XML documents wrapped by DTML. :)
> >http://www.zope.org:18200/Members/srichter
> >Works great by the way, thanks to Martijn Faassen.
>
> It occurred to me that the Zope community now has the ability to
> render XML documents *on the fly* into HTML (or whatever), doing it
> almost transparently, and within a framework that is extremely
> powerful.

It's been amazing to watch how quickly Stephan figured out how it works;
so far I only worked with a single type of XML document, but he's
wrapped 4 already!

This indicates not only that Stephan's smart, but also that it's indeed
not that hard to do. :)

> I've been watching the XML-L and XML-DEV lists for, oh 18 months now.
> There have been announcements of rendering XML into HTML etc on the
> fly, yes. But the solutions offered have always been too clunky for
> me (talk of XSL and Java servlets and *much* more arcane stuff flew
> around and through the list and my head for many moons).

I know next to nothing about XSL and Java servlets. I'd like to study
XSL sometime, is it really that arcane? I read something about DC going
to fit XSL into Zope, so I'm curious about it.

> In short, this is a *big* win for the Zope community.

Definitely!

Regards,

Martijn