[Zope] Using Dreamweaver with zope.. (and a Zope site...)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:15:42 +0100

At 1:55 pm +0100 4/10/99, Phil  Harris wrote:
>Hi tone,
>
>Right enough DW is stupid enough to base file types on extensions, I've yet
>to see anyfile open that has no extension.

Aha.

>P**ses me off no end, DW is pretty cool otherwise.
>
>The only thing I've resorted to is calling my files 'index.html' or
>'sql.html' etc.
>
>If you find a way around this let me know.

I got an email off Johan Carlsson mentioning the Configuration
directory under Win32. I use a Mac though, so I've had to pass on
that. I've invited him to email the list with his thoughts though...

>BTW How'd the launch go?
>
>Phil
>phil@philh.org

Background:
Last week my multiply hosted Zope sites went live. 60 people here at
Newcastle, 50 at Durham and a high-level demo at Nottingham. All
hitting the same box. All hitting the same Zope 2.0.1 installation.
All hitting the same MySQL server. Durham reported no problems at
all. Notts also did rather well. However, stupid-sod here at
Newcastle used a numeric IP so all traffic went through our proxy
server first == slow... aaagh!. Using an address that avoided the
proxy meant things were cool however. I was worried about
multi-threaded Zope and MySQL, but all the major accesses were
read-only so I guess I got away with it.
Basically it's an electronic curriculum system that displays
structured data from an SQL database. The SQL data gets there from
Word->RTF->XML->SQL. Zope allows an element to be extracted from the
database, and rendered differently depending on what type of element
it is, ie
type = text
render = <p><dtml-var content null="&nbsp;"></p>
type = library (a code telling what books are used on the course)
render = SQL query to library database, data rendered is ISBN
numbers, authors, titles, availability etc.

The XML link is very interesting as XMLDocument raises some luscious
possibilities!
If you can bear to put up with 'System Unavailable' messages until I
get them sorted out (ie I'm still finishing the demo site!), you can
check it out at http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/nle/demo/medfac/
I'll also eventually have some information up on how the guides were
created, attributions to Zope etc. -- but  for the time being
consider it a WIP (I need to get this email out about DreamWeaver!)
The sites for Durham and Nottingham are very similar, but for obvious
reasons, I can't show them here...

tone
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2