[Zope] standard_html_header & standard_html_footer

Ben Leslie benno@sesgroup.net
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:17:33 +1100

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > The standard header and footer in the root Folder are reserved
> > names that can't be deleted mainly because certain parts of
> > zope (such as the std error template and the "default" content
> > of new DTML Documents and Methods) expect them to be available.
> Yes, but what if I've both changed standard_error_message and have no
> documents that depend on standard_html_[header,footer]?
>

> > If, say, a Zope newbie were to delete them without knowing what
> > the consequences were, they would then find that all of their
> > dtml docs/methods generated with the default content would
> > appear broken (and the error message reporting the error would
> > also probably be broken).
> I don't buy it. Don't sacrifice flexibility for the sake of a
> hypothetical newbie. In a worst case scenario, the newbie would post to
> the list, find out that he/she did something bad, use "Undo" to
> retrieve the documents, and learn something about Zope in the process.
> The best way to learn not to touch a hot stove is to get burnt.

Sorry, I disagree here. I would rather have the experience user have
to go and remove them from the source than have the newbie burn his
fingers. The user who wants to remove std_html_hdr is much more likely
to be experienced and be able to edit two lines of code and learn more
about zope than say a newbie is is likely to become frustrated and give
up. You haven't really lost the flexibility anyway because all you have
to do is edit one line of code.

Cheers,

Benno