[Zope] MySQL and/or ZODB

Mitch Pirtle mitchy@spacemonkeylabs.com
10 Oct 2001 14:07:23 +0200

On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 12:57, Chris Withers wrote:
> Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> >
> > slightly off-topic, proved that we all agreed that ZODB was not suited
> > for heavy data use (although we couldn't agree on the DBMS) -;^>=
>
> That's a bit of a vague and waffley statement ;-)

Sorry, that's because I've been working with databases for so long that
it is dificult to explain some things.  Here's the more verbose version:

If it is hierarchical data (suitable for a relational model) and is
volatile (changes often) or is searched/sorted/manipulated in complex
ways - or needs to be supported by ACID - then a RDBMS is for you.

For everything else, especially object-related data, then ZODB is the
best bet.  When I say object-related data, I mean real objects, as
opposed to the pseudo-objects that Oracle slaps on top of their
relational engine.

HTH,

mitchy