[Zope] Data.fs 2GB problem ...

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:19:38 -0700

I don't think that is the case under Linux with a 64-bit userspace.  Someone
on this list (Bill?) had indicated it worked to have large files on ext2
under 64 bit architectures.  Sadly, that excludes UltraSPARC, because its
user-space is still 32 bit, but I guess this limitation doesn't exist on
Alpha, Itanium, or PA-RISC, but you may still need a 2.4 kernel for Itanium
if you are to use that as a platform.

Next year, my company is likely to migrate our ZEO Storage Servers to an
intel architecture from Linux/Sparc, and will likely use ReiserFS at that
time, since it has been in the mainsteam 2.4.1+ kernels, and is reported to
be stable on IA32...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Takashi Linzbichler [mailto:takashi.linzbichler@smartferret.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 9:41 AM
To: Gitte Wange
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Data.fs 2GB problem ...

Hi, Gitte !

Gitte Wange wrote:

> >       hmmm... isn't a filesystem limit? what fs are you using?
>
> No I don't think so. We are using ext2 but the problem could be the
> python interprenter as Andreas mentioned ..

Not sure about that. If you're using ext2 and a Kernel < 2.4.x or a
fIlesystem created under a Kernel < 2.4.x, you're quite out of luck,
sorry to say that. Check the list-archives for further infos.

regards,
	ta

smartferret it-consulting Dipl.-Ing. Linzbichler KEG

Dipl.-Ing. Takashi Veikko Linzbichler
Tannhofweg 28/3
A-8044 Graz, Austria

Tel.:   0316 / 39 89 40 -0