[Zope] RE: Is Structured Text Broken in Zope 2.4x ???

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:33:43 -0400

> On zope.org, the available documentation on Structured Text for aspiring
> Zopers is a bit confusing, because it is often not clear what is
definitive,
> what is is a proposal, what is ClassicStructuredText, what is
> StructuredTextNG, what is StructuredText Zwiki, and what may be just a
> member's opinion. It is also not clear as to which version of Structured
> Text is supported in which release of Zope.

I dont like Wikis very much for documentation for this very reason.  But for
some inscrutable reason, Those Who Use Wikis For Documentation appear to
disagree.  ;-)

> To document the spacing problem in STXNG bulleted outlines, I offer a
> specific example for the benefit of other readers:
>
> In Zope 2.4.1, the following structured text:
>
> - Red
>
> - Green
>
> - Blue
>
> - First
>
> - Second
>
> - Third
>
> - Freshman
>
> - Junior
>
> - Senior
>
> outputs to browser-rendered html that looks much like this in MS IE v5.50:
>
>     o Red
>
>     o Green
>
>     o Blue
>         o First
>
>         o Second
>
>         o Third
>             o Freshman
>
>             o Junior
>
>             o Senior

Weird.  I can't seem to replicate this under IE 5.5 and Zope 2.4.1.
Comparable source renders like so for me:

<ul>

</ul>

re: tables

> However, while the resulting html is formatted well enough to render as a
> properly-sized table in MS IE, the first column of the table does not
render
> correctly.

Hmm.. that sounds like a bug.

> I will begin work on bug reports, patches, and possibly some enhancements
> for StructuredTextNG. Any help and hints will be gratefully accepted.

Excellent, mo problem, I'll do what I can.

> Of primary interest is correcting the killer bug that appears in the
> structured-text method in Products.PythonScripts.standard in Zope 2.4.x.
> Correcting that bug appears to be the most elegant way to support
> StructuredText-formatted topics on ZPT-formatted pages.

Sure.  The "::" appears to work for me, but I couldnt get the URL-anchoring
to work.  I'm unforunately not able at the moment to investigate why.

- C