[Zope] One big Zope or many small Zopes? Or perhaps a ZEO?

Bill Blevins bblevins@fredericksburg.com
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:30:42 -0400

Our site is crawling too, hence the urgent messages, but thankfully, a new
server is on it's way next week. Yes, apache is in front of zope
2.4.something now with the ramcache for various processes at 5, 10 and 20
minutes. What newspaper?

Bill

On 10/20/01 8:13 AM, "Bak @ kedai" <kedai@kedai.com.my> wrote:

>> Thanks Sean (and Kirk).
>>
>> So, ya'll are saying we should have ONE zope managed over several servers
>> with ZEO (and cach
ing)? Key question is the ONE zope.

>> Currently, our huge zope is for the newspaper content, then homes is on
> it's
>> own install,
> classifieds another and business directory another and two
>> testing zopes on two others. (All on one box with our database pulled from
>> another box.)
>>
>> Am I understanding that correctly?
>>
>> One other quick question. With 75,000 page
>> views per day, set up the way we
>> are now, (one box/multiple zopes) how many connections should we be
>> allowing? I think the default it 4 and we have opened it up to 8. Sound
>> right?
>>

> we're a newspaper house too, and currently running on one zope, with many
> zeo clients.   what we're missing now, (what we should have done earlier, if
> we'd known :)) is to enable caching on dynamic sections, as suggested by  a
> message before this.  putting squid in front, as suggested by sean is also
> one of the answer.  caching expensive methods is another.  however, we're
> currently on 2.4.x, and RAM cache dont have automated invalidation.  we're
> in the midst of trying to pull StandardCacheManager from 2.4.x to 2.3.x and
> hope that it doesnt break zope.
>
> so, if youre startin
> g fresh, work with zope2.4.x, use ramcache, and probably
> use squid.
> with one zope, management should be easier.  if the site crawls, add another
> zeo client.  however, getting the logs together may be a challenge:)
>
> increasing the number of threads dont really guarantee faster response.
> there's a 7(10
?) connection pool limit in the ZODB.  in previous threads,