[Zope] A new list needed?

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
21 Oct 2001 23:18:55 -0700

On Sun, 2001-10-21 at 09:45, a32955@mail-virtual.nc.rr.com wrote:
> I would urge setting up a usenet group for zope.
>
> - it's a familiar interface for everyone
> - a newsreader can display threads correctly (unlike email clients)
> - google will archive it for you.  the perfect place to look for answers to
> previously asked questions
> - avoids the clutter of receiving hundreds of emails per week
>
> This suggestion is so obvious that I'm sure someone has already made
> it.  So I apologize for the (probable) repetition.

Unfortunately, it takes a while to set up a new usenet group and get it
picked up everywhere.

What I (and I think others) are advocating is a private news server
(news.zope.org) that isn't neccessarily peered into the rest of Usenet.
This give you greater control over spam postings, and makes it easier to
administer a growing heirarchy of groups. Imagine:

zope.admin
zope.admin.linux
zope.admin.solaris
zope.announce
zope.beta
zope.books
zope.books.announce
zope.books.authors
zope.books.discuss
zope.hackers
zope.designers
zope.dev
zope.dev.xml
zope.dev.xml.parsed-xml
zope.dev.zodb
zope.dev.catalog
zope.dev.catalog.indexes
zope.dev.products
zope.dev.webservices
zope.documentation
zope.dtml
zope.how-do-i
zope.marketing
zope.marketing.case-studies
zope.newbies
zope.newbies.acquisition
zope.scripts.python
zope.scripts.perl
zope.security
zope.sightings
zope.zeo
zope.zpt

Those are just ones off the top of my head. creating and managing this
many mailing lists and their subscriptions is a royal pain in the butt,
but it's a lot easier to adnminister (and in some cases moderate) this
many newsgroups.

In my opinion, doing thias will actually *increase* the level of support
that beginners get, as well as provide the more specialized forums that
many developers are looking for.

As an example, Netscape has a set of private (as in non-usenet)
newsgroups at news.mozilla.org that are very useful, and I participate
in another set of newsgroups over at news.sff.net which form a very
lively community.

Anyway, that's what *I* think.