[Zope] call for a new list -- did we ever come to a conclusion?

Philip Kilner phil@xfr.co.uk
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:04:13 +0100

Hi Frank,

In article <ufk7xo2c5c.fsf@westkapp.wb.lightwerk.com>, Frank Tegtmeyer wrote:
> > attacks.  I agree w/ webmaven that he should post these emails publicly so
> > we could see the offenders.
>
> Personal mails should never be made public, even if they are
> attacks. That's a very basic rule of netiquette.

If someone has taken a private email address from a public posting and used it to
abuse the private individual concerned, they have already put themselves outside
the rules - and hence in my view the protection - of "netiquette". In doing so, they
are merely hiding behind the "privacy" of email as opposed to a mailing list in
order to perpetrate their abuse.

> > We shoulndt tolerate this in our community.
>
> You will have to live with such things in every large group of
> individuals. There is nothing you can do about it.

I don't accept this kind of behaviour in /any/ group of people. I don't think anybody
else should have to either. It upsets me to think that anyone should feel that they
have to unsubscribe to avoid abuse, and it diminishes us all to let it happen.

However, the judgement must be Andrews in this case.

Regards

PhilK

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:49 +0100

When your friend speaks his mind you fear not
        the "nay" in your own mind, nor do you withhold the "ay".
And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;

                - from The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran