[Zope] Threading, dtml and performance?!

Paul Zwarts paz@oratrix.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:54:29 +0200

Ahaha... Keyword being method. Its one step closer to working now, but I
get authorization errors against bobbobase_mod_time. I tried as
superuser and owner/manager roles with no avail. Am I missing something?

Paul Zwarts

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org] On Behalf Of
Chris McDonough
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 3:11 PM
To: Paul Zwarts
Cc: chrism@zope.com; 'Tony McDonald'; 'Oliver Erlewein'; zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Threading, dtml and performance?!

Maybe you created the method in a subfolder without many peer objects?
It should be created at the root.

Paul Zwarts wrote:
> Well, okay then. I get it. However, since it takes only 80% of 1
second
> to load the page, its difficult to access another page... LOL.
>
> I've tried the reverse now. Pulling a page that does heavy SQL queries
> and then refreshing the speeTest page a few times. Adding some time
> fields, the page only takes .1 second more than before.
>
> I also mention that I built my own mailing list app for our site, and
it
> has run against 8000 emails, and still services me or other users on
the
> site, even though the bulkmailer takes up to 30 minutes to run fully.
>
> So I guess the result is the same. Solaris has something funny,
whereas
> Linux does not.
>
> But as per my first message, I don't think this test works properly
> because the second IN is never executed, so this dtml doesn't actually
> do anything to the server that would distract it or load it down.....
>
> Paul Zwarts

However,
> if you ran this method, and you couldn't do anything on the system
until

> it finished, there would be a problem.
>
> Paul Zwarts wrote:
>
>>Um... I can do this on a Dual P2-400 with 256mb ram, loading the
>>
> Redhat
>
>>flavour of the latest linux kernel....
>>
>>But, I don't quite understand the test. At least, what is the dtml
>>doing? I tried it out and I get nothing on the page, except my
>>header/footer stuff. The time reslut from the debug console reveals
>>
> .83
>
>>seconds, but that is because my interface is quite heavy on SQL and
>>
> CST.
>
>>Should I modify the code to something else? I suppose the first in-tag
>>is to just create a loop, so can I use _.range() instead?
>>
>>If the ZopeFind(this(), '', '', '',....) means its looking for '1' as
>>
> an
>
>>object, it doesn't work either even if I add a method called '1'. With
>>some text in between, I see that the first <dtml-in> works only and
>>
> the
>
>>ZopeFind returns bunk.
>>
>>I'm interested in this test, but I;m not techie enough to understand
>>
> the
>
>>control here.
>>

>><dtml-call logic>
>><dtml-var head>
>><dtml-var standard_html_header>
>>start<br>
>>
>> <dtml-in

"[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,

>>1,1]">
>>  a<br>
>>  <dtml-in "ZopeFind(this(), '', '', '', '', '' , '', '', '', 1)"
>>sort=bobobase_modification_time reverse>
>>    b<br>
>>    <dtml-var bobobase_modification_time>, <dtml-var id><br>
>>
> </dtml-in>
>
>>  </dtml-in>
>>end<br>
>><dtml-var standard_html_footer>
>>

>>Thanks for help,
>>Paul Zwarts

Chris McDonough                    Zope Corporation
http://www.zope.org             http://www.zope.com
"Killing hundreds of birds with thousands of stones"